Search This Blog

Sunday, April 20, 2014

A Poem for my Mother at Easter

Eggs. Fertility. Baby chicks and rabbits--the pagan roots of Easter run through the feminine.


Lemberg Castle with its red roofs and mountain surround.
While I was born in 1950, the egg that created me was born in my maternal grandmother in the late 1800's, not far from Lemberg Castle in Galicia. 

She left everything she knew and loved to immigrate to America when she was only fifteen. Because she died before I was born, what I know of her spirit has come to me through my mother, through the pulsating chains of light we share in our DNA.

This poem in praise of that power.   

 
 Redeemer          

My mother on her knees one Sunday in Lent
bent to check the soil to divine
which bulbs survived the winter’s freeze
to bring the green come Easter.
She wore no gloves in spite of icy air,
and the memory of red polish on her nails
suggests something I couldn’t see then,
some sympathetic magic that could do more
than mend the frayed edges of my coat
or untangle snarls in my hair,
some sacrament that could make new tulips
rise up red against the faded fence
when fasting days finally ended
in the communion of colored eggs
and chocolate. On that day,
all of the ashes would be kissed from my brow,
because Mother on her knees one morning in Lent
bent to resurrect bouquets, indifferent to mud
that drenched  the hem of her Sunday dress.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment